Waxing your boat regularly will protect the gelcoat surface by helping to prevent fading and chalking caused by the sun. It will also act as a barrier that is resistant to dirt and stains.
You should be able to obtain a quality boat wax or a complete DIY boat waxing kit from a reputable boat accessory store.
To wax your boat, simply follow these steps:
- Rinse off your boat with a low pressure hose to remove any loose dirt and salty residue.
- Next wash the entire boat with a quality boat cleaner to remove any grease, marine growth and mineral deposits etc. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
- If you notice any chips, gouges or cracks in the hull, now is the time to fix them. The quickest and easiest way to do this is with MagicEzy’s innovative DIY gelcoat repair products. Use 9 Second Chip Fix to fill and color holes, or Hairline Fix to seal and color stress cracks. Allow to fully cure before proceeding with wax job.
- If you have antifouling on your boat, tape off the area with a quality painters tape to avoid smearing bottom paint on the hull.
- Buff and polish your boat with a suitable polishing compound. This abrasive compound will gently remove small scratches, stains and other imperfections whilst restoring the gelcoat’s natural shine.
- The final step is to apply the boat wax of choice with a clean soft cloth. Allow the wax to dry – usually about 5-10 minutes. Once dry, buff the wax off with another clean soft cloth.